This past Saturday July 12th, 26 teams comprised of 4 individuals each gathered on the steps…
Tag: Ruben Diaz Jr
Last night The Bronx held its first ‘Taste of The Bronx’ in several years but rather than choosing a Bronx location, Borough Hall decided to take it to Manhattan — and make it “by invitation only”.
That’s pretty much the sentiment of many Bronx residents when they learned that they were being excluded from one of our very own events that celebrate our culinary offerings.
In his New York Daily News op-ed, Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz, Jr. discussed the newest proposal by Move NY to impose tolls on the currently free East River bridges and for driving in Manhattan below 60th Street. The novelty in this proposal is that prices on bridges close to mass transit would be raised while those in “transit deserts” would be lowered. In spite of herculean efforts by proponents to avoid the term, Diaz correctly identified this proposal as “congestion pricing.”
Back in January, Welcome2TheBronx wrote about how our Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. sat on the fence on the soccer stadium deal after much wooing them to the Bronx. Now Crain’s New York reports an interview with Diaz Jr, where he says, “On the soccer stadium as a whole, I’ll say this: I’m not there yet. That said, I am open-minded. As I said in my State of the Borough address, with a good community-benefits agreement, with proper community engagement, I think we can get to a place where folks understand the economic benefits of the stadium. But those benefits have to be real and be felt. It can’t just benefit the royal family of Abu Dhabi [who co-owns the franchise] or the Yankees.”
During Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr’s State of the Borough address today, he publicly called upon the city to issue a new Request for Proposal for PS 31 and to truly explore whether or not it needs to be demolished.
It seems the Borough President has listened to our cries for the building to be salvaged since our petition to save the building was addressed to him among others.
Back in 2010 during renovations at the Bronx County Courthouse, several historical murals depicting Jonas Bronck and local Lenape Native Americans were severely water damaged.
Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr complained to the city on numerous occasions but the years went by and the decay worsened.
Now the city finally has done right by the Bronx and the murals and work will begin to restore the historical works of art.
In a meeting held last week at Bronx Legal Services by concerned community members about the proposed Major League Soccer stadium sweetheart deal, it was revealed by several individuals that Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr was proceeding cautiously with this deal as to not make the same mistake he made with the FreshDirect deal.
Almost 500 people have signed the petition to save PS 31 aka The Castle on the Concourse from losing its landmark status and being demolished.
Many have left heartfelt comments about the school and building helped shaped their lives but one comment really stands out and it is from Sharan Rosen.
Sorry for the delay in this week’s article. An interview with mayoral candidate Adolfo Carrion was supposed to happen for this week. Unfortunately, it seems like that may have fallen by the wayside.
This past Wednesday September 25th, in a surprise community board meeting which was not announced to the public, Community Board 1 not only rejected the minutes of July’s chaotic meeting on FreshDirect but voted overwhelmingly to REJECT the company’s request for a much needed land use modification.
With 92% of precincts reporting as of 8AM this morning after, Maria del Carmen Arroyo won the primary with 4,081 votes (68%) while challenger Julio Pabón received 32% of total votes (1,882 votes).